Thursday 7 October 2010

Yummy Swirly Biscuits


I’ve had quite a sweet craving since last night and, clearly not content with the chocolate orange I fed it, I found the craving had honed itself into a major biscuit craving by the morning. So, I got baking and made these...

This recipe is much-loved by my family and the biscuits are lush. They will taste buttery if you eat them while they’re still warm but become sweeter when cooled.

You can substitute the milk chocolate spread for an alternative chocolate spread or jam if you prefer.

Ingredients
185g Plain Flour
125g Caster Sugar
100g Butter (from the fridge)
1 Egg Yolk
1 tablespoon of Milk
About 2 heaped tablespoons of Chocolate Spread (I used a generous 3 this time and ended up with messy chocolate swirls – if you don’t mind this, go ahead and use more chocolate: use less for a neater result)

How to make them
1) Mix the flour, sugar and butter until the mixture is crumbly.
2) Add the egg yolk and milk and mix with your hands: you will get a dough-like mixture. Knead into a ball.
3) Stick the dough ball into the fridge for 45 minutes.


4) Roll out the dough between sheets of baking paper until you get a rectangle (aprx 30cm x 20cm)
5) Smother the rectangle with chocolate spread.
6) Roll the dough tightly starting from the long side. You should have a 30cm long roll: wrap your baking sheet around  the roll and stick it back into the fridge for 30 minutes.
7) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius (160 for fan ovens like mine), gas mark 4.


8) Cut 1cm slices from the roll and place on a baking sheet ready to bake. Leave atleast a 2cm gap between each biscuit (important because otherwise the biscuits will stick together when baking)
9) Bake for 20 minutes in the centre of the oven.

10) Remove from oven and wait 5 minutes before you move to a wire rack to cool (if you try to transfer them straight away, they will disintegrate) The biscuits will have a softer cookie-texture while they’re warm but will start to harden as they cool.

Enjoy!

P.S. The biscuit craving HAS been satisfied! Mmmmmm!:D

7 comments:

  1. I've just shown this recipe to my housemate and we're going to try and make some over the weekend! They look SO good! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! It's a really easy recipe so I reckon yours will come out fab!:D Let me know how it goes! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend of mine tasted these yesterday and said they were lovey but quite sweet! Everyone at my home has a sweet tooth so we've never noticed before!! Just in case, I wanted to say if you have a go at the recipe, use 100g of caster sugar instead of 125g (unless you're like us, in which case it'll be fine!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having my morning coffee and now having a serious craving for these biscuits! I've got to try these soon .... tomorrow .... maybe lunch??

    ReplyDelete
  5. BaileyGirl5: Hehe, they are definitely lush and so so easy to make! You've got to let me know if you try out the recipe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh Nom! haven't made biscuits in ages, will defo give them a try xxxx

    ReplyDelete