Saturday 2 October 2010

Bloggy Book Club: my recommendation


Well it’s October already and I’m hosting this month’s Bloggy Book Club read. If you haven’t heard, Bloggy Book Club is a fab new online book club run by my twitter chum @icklebabe_com – search #bloggybookclub to join in the chatter.


The Eyre Affair

It's coming up to 10 years now since I first read this book. What I remember most about it is the central character Thursday Next and how I was blown away by the book’s nonconformist approach and wacky storyline. For those of you looking for a book that’s going to give you answers to deep philosophical questions, look somewhere else because this isn’t it.  

The Eyre Affair is a light-hearted adventure story, incredibly well-written. It’s multilayered in its construction and manages to be both mind-boggling and incredibly entertaining - if you give it a chance. Yes, I know some of you will find it has a confusing start but this is deliberate to catch you off-guard: I urge you to stick with it.

The book requires a total suspension of reality as we know it. I didn’t know anything about the book when I started reading and maybe that’s the best way to enjoy the surprises. For the more bookish amongst you, there are dozens of literary references from Shakespeare and Alice in wonderland to of course Jane Eyre woven into the story, for your amusement and enjoyment.

This is an interesting and original piece of work with a whole bunch of laughs and surprises: it IS ultimately utter nonsense but that’s the whole point!
 
Not sure yet how my choice will go down with Bloggy Book Club members but I suspect it’s going to be a bit of a marmite-choice! Time will tell... ;)

Prepare yourself for a mind-bending ride and get reading!


Sophie    x

5 comments:

  1. Wow, You have really got me hooked now! I have to admit, i have only read the first few pages and it has got me a little confused. But seeing as that seems to be the point and there is lots of fun to come, I am VERY much looking forward to the ride. The Bloggy Book Club train has once again left the station ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stick with it hun! It's a little disorientating at the start - you just need to get your head round the fact that anything can happen: pet dodos and time-travelling and allsorts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only just started reading but admit the beginning confused me. I had to stop reading and then start over but now I'm hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm intrigued now. Drumming my fingers waiting for Amazon to deliver it. I tried to get it from www.readitswapit.com but no one was willing to give it up lightly. Also, lovely to find a new blog, I look forward to following you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's definitely an adventure of oddities, this book! Based on feedback I've had so far EVERYONE'S been confused at the start so you're not alone!:)

    Cara: hope your book arrives quickly! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it - all I can say is expect to be confused and you'll be alright! Thanks for following! :D

    ReplyDelete